When we heard about Erick Zhao we were amazed.
Erick, aged 10, is a talented kid who has worked extremely hard. And at the 2018 World Cadets Chess Championship in Santiago that hard work really paid off.
Erick finished with the silver medal – just missing out on gold – after racking up a hugely-impressive score in the U10 Open for Team USA.
He started the tournament ranked number 13 and finished with 9/11, with his only loss coming in round 5 against Chinese player Li Yihao.
He beat three CMs along the way to a rating performance of 2015. And remember, he’s 10!
Erick Zhao, remember the name
Erick attends an after-school club for chess and math called the Logic Lab of Tutoring in Gainesville, Florida, run by NM Britt Ryerson and he’s an avid Chessable user.
In fact, Erick isn’t the only Chessable user in the club – Britt, who is training the team for the nationals, has got them all using it.
Britt told us our chess learning platform is “doing the hard work for us, getting us ready for tactics”. We really hope they do well!
We caught up with him to find out how things are going:
And, if you want to look at some of Erick’s games from the tournament, here are a couple:
Round 2: Nicolas Perossa Vs Erich Zhao
Round 11: Maksim Volkov Vs Erick Zhao
- How to castle in chess: Our guide to mastering this special rule - 17th May 2019
- IM Christof Sielecki on Keep It Simple winning ChessPub Book of the Year - 27th March 2019
- Staff picks: What we recommend in 2019 and why - 14th March 2019
- Viswanathan Anand net worth: How much has the Indian chess superstar earned? - 4th February 2019
- The game has changed! GM Matthew Sadler on how Game Changer can benefit YOU - 31st January 2019
- #ChessPunks guide to building your own chess flashcards using Chessable and Lichess - 29th January 2019
- Game Changer will be a game changer on Chessable with MoveTrainer™ - 16th January 2019
- Surprise attacks! Our top 5 rare chess openings for White - 21st December 2018
- How 4 plucky Englishmen held mighty AlphaZero to draw - 10th December 2018
- Erick Zhao: The 10-year-old Chessable user who bagged World Cadets silver - 10th December 2018
Leon is a national newspaper journalist from London, England. He is an avid chess fan, and writes regularly about the game. Apart from chess, he loves cricket, Tottenham Hotspur FC and spending time with his son.