London’s iconic clock-tower may be covered with scaffolding right now (it’s undergoing repair work), but on Chessable it’s on show in all its glory.
That’s because we’ve created a new “Big Ben” badge for you to collect to go alongside our brilliant new London System book released this week.
The Agile London System by Holmes and de Prado is a vast, sprawling collection of different roads you can go down that will keep you interested for the rest of your life. Much like the city the opening is named after.
And as an extra bonus if you get the book, you’ll qualify for the new Elizabeth Tower badge!
That’s not all. We’ve also released a second, even rarer badge.
Who got knocked out?
The “Knocked Out” badge is for anyone who’s ever felt the pain of getting to more than 1,000 positions to review. Phew, that is stressful!
Upon launch it was immediately awarded to our CEO David Kramaley (keep up the practise David!) and someone else.
Can anyone guess who that Chessable member was? I’ll put the answer at the bottom if you want to know*.
Fancy a spot of OTB?
Now this is something new for us. Are there any London-based Chessable members in the house who fancy getting together to play a spot of OTB?
Well, I am a co-organiser of a league that takes place over the summer and thought we could form a team and play in it.
We would need to have enough players to put out a four board team on five Tuesday evenings in July and August (dates yet to be confirmed) so would probably need a squad of about six or seven.
Here’s the league’s website: Summer Chess League.
So how’s about it? Let us know on this forum post if you are interested. If we can get enough names we’ll do it, and I’ll buy the first round afterwards.
Finally, we thought you may be interested in this: John (Bartholomew, of course) was interviewed recently by his former college professor Alexey Root for a website called SparkChess.
In the chat, John talks among other things about his time at the University of Texas at Dallas and the downsides of being a “chess celebrity”.
Apart from that, keep training.
- * No I won’t tell you, keep guessing.
- Ding Dong! Two new badges, interview with John + do you want to join Team Chessable? - 27th April 2018
- Will there be trash-talking with Magnus? Oh yeah, no doubt, says Fabiano Caruana - 28th March 2018
- From 891 to 1760: How Jameson took his USCF rating through the roof - 21st March 2018
- Kasparov on the Candidates and how to beat Magnus Carlsen - 7th March 2018
- New tweaks including how to request a chess book you want - 26th February 2018
- Now you can hold back time on tricky puzzles - 14th February 2018
- John Bartholomew tops group but narrowly misses out on second GM norm - 16th January 2018
- John Bartholomew’s win over Indian wonderkid Praggnanandhaa - 15th January 2018
- Praggu’s race to be youngest ever chess Grandmaster - 10th January 2018
- The Grand Prix: Everything you need to know about Fide’s flagship event and why it’s so controversial - 12th May 2017