In his best-selling book Zero to One, billionaire entrepreneur and investor Peter Thiel said that:
It’s easier to copy a model than to make something new: doing what we already know how to do takes the world from 1 to n, adding more of something familiar. Every new creation goes from 0 to 1.
Boy is he right! Many of the things we have done at Chessable have been taking us from 0 to 1. When we started, we had some idea of what we wanted to make, but we could not foresee everything. The more we listened to our community and used the product ourselves, the closer we got from 0 to 1.
These inherent difficulties of creating a new product, combined with bootstrapping and a lean approach, meant that some of our first chess books were lacking just a tad of love. Some features were developed months after the release of these books. While many of these features get automatically rolled out when we write them, some require a bit more human touch.
Because we want every single book to feel like the best chess learning experience you have ever had, today we are announcing our plans to revamp many of Chessable’s oldies. We have begun by completing a new quality assurance of John Bartholomew’s Scandinavian, the classic #teamscandi book.
With John’s book, we have checked all comments for accuracy, added missing comments in some locations, got John to clarify certain positions, improved annotations, re-ordered variations for better study order and more. We have added informational and alternative lines where appropriate, and all in all made sure that the learning experience is up to today’s higher standards.
We plan to work on Chessexplained’s books and GM Alex Colovic’s books next, to allow for the same awesome experience in all of these excellent books. This is not to say they are not great as they are, as the many 5-star reviews will attest. These books are already awesome, but we want to go beyond that!
If you have already bought the book, as always, you will receive all the updates for FREE. However, to reflect the extra work that goes into making exceptional interactive eBooks, some of them may have to have a slight price increase. John Bartholomew’s book was a steal at $9.99 and from today on it will cost $14.99.
However, to give you a chance to jump on board #teamscandi we’ll run a 5-day sale at $7.49. Half price. How’s that? Enjoy (and don’t miss out!).
You can grab John’s book here: https://www.chessable.com/opening-book/im-john-bartholomews-scandinavian/79/
- Beating Magnus after a month of training: the neuroscience of why learning chess is so much harder than learning a language - 27th November 2017
- An Evening of Chess with John Bartholomew (and friends!) - 22nd November 2017
- Unlocking a premium feature: Advanced Line Study for all! - 11th November 2017
- Bringing chess books to life: introducing the new features that make it possible. - 25th October 2017
- Making all of our interactive chess books better than awesome. - 4th October 2017
- What’s new in Chessable this summer ’17? - 29th August 2017
- This map shows your favourite chess playing servers in a game of Risk! - 25th July 2017
- Endgame training with 100 Endgames You Must Know - 19th July 2017
- The One and Only: The Very First Chessable Legend! - 12th June 2017